About Department of Library and Information Science
The Department of Library and Information Science was established in 1984 affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune. The department is first to started outside the University in Maharashtra. The one year B.Lib.I.Sc. course an graduate programme is being offered to provide professional training and education for librarianship. In 2002, the department has instituted a one year master programme M.Lib.I.Sc. to trained the librarian with more research, information, information retrieval and technological skill for modern librarianship.
Library Facility – The central library of our college is central instrumentation and important laboratory for library science students. The central library supplies an extensive list of over 2699 reference and text books and access to 10 print journals and several online journals. A separate reference department and well equipped computer lab for practical along with departmental library is real strength of the department.
Student Progression – The department has an exclusive meritorious tradition. Every year our students hold the merit position in SPPU rank list. Presently 84 students have cleared NET/SET exam and two out of them have also cleared JRF (UGC). 12 students have completed M.Phil. and Ph.D and are doing extremely well in their professional life. More than 700 students have passed out from the department and are well placed in various libraries all over Maharashtra, India and abroad also.
Linkages – The department has maintained the cordial and harmonious relationship with many prestigious institutions, organization and department in library profession – Jayakar Library, , Y.C.M.O.U. Nashik., Department of LIS, Mumbai University., Divisional and Reference Library of Maharashtra, Nashik, American Centre Library Mumbai & New Delhi., British Council Library Pune., National Chemical Laboratory’s library Pune., Directorate of Libraries, Govt. of Maharashtra, Mumbai., SAWANA Public Library, Nashik.
Activities for the Students:
Department actively participate in various extracurricular activities and encourage the students to take part in some regular activities through out the year.
- Celebration of Dr. .R.Ranganathan’s Birth Anniversary on 12th August by presenting a Seminar on the life and work of Dr. S.R. Ranganathan.
- Teachers Day celebration on 5th September by arranging a Paper-presentation on various subjects followed by having an experience of actual working in the library.
- Field visit to local libraries
- Remedial course to improve communication skills in English
- Guest lectures on “Leadership and Motivation Theories” Workshop on Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT) Guest lectures on “Leadership and Communication Skills for Librarians”
- Display of Headlines of newspapers.
- Compilation of Bibliography.
- Preparation of News-paper Clipping Project.
- Orientation to the Profession of Librarianship by showing video films
|Degree||Eligibility||Course Type||Intake||Note||Admission Procedure||Type|
|B.Lib.I.Sc.( Bachelor in Library Science And Inform. Science) (One Year Course)||Graduate degree in Arts or Science or Commerce discipline.||Grant||30 Seats||Reservation as per Government Rules||Selection through merit list||Under Graduate|
|M.Lib.I. Sc.( Master In Library Science and Information Science) (One Year Course)||B.Lib. I.Sc.||Non-Grant||10 Seats||Reservation as per Government Rules||Selection through merit list||Post Graduate|
|Mr. JAYANT MADHUSUDAN NANDAGAOLI||M.Lib.I.Sc., NET.||HOD & Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||View|
|Mrs.M.R.Mangurkar||B.Sc., M.A. M.Lib.I.Sc., SET||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||View|