About Department of Economics
History of the Department
The department was established in the year 1924, along with the establishment of the Arts College, being one of the oldest economics departments in North Maharashtra. The postgraduate centre at the department was established in 1955, being one of the first departments to offer P.G. Course (Economics) in North Maharashtra.
About the Department
The department has well qualified and research oriented faculty with up to date knowledge of Economics. Bilingual command of the faculty over the subject makes the latest knowledge in the field accessible to vernacular medium students. We effectively and comprehensively introduce students to basic concepts, theories and evolution of economics. We focus on enabling the students to apply the theoretical tools of economics to real life situations and introducing them to latest developments and new approaches in the field of economics. We have excellent collection of reference books at the central library as well as departmental library. The success rate of UG and PG has been ranging from 80% to 90%.
Objectives of the Department
- To expose the students to basic concepts, theories and evolution of economics
- To enable the students to apply the theoretical tools of economics to real life situations
- To expose the students to latest developments and new approaches in the field of economics
- To enable the students to study the behavior of the economy as a whole
- To expose the students to various issues related to development and policy makin
- To focus on resolving past learning deficits of postgraduate students of the department while preparing them for the advanced level of knowledge of the field
- To focus on encouraging and empowering students to study standard reference books and quality research journals.
Best Practices of the Department
- Poster Exhibition on the theme ‘Union Budget and You’ is annually organized.
- Guest lectures are organized on various themes every year.
- Field visits and industrial visits are organized for hands-on experience.
- Departmental library has been started and a number of books have been donated by the retired faculty members of the department.
Teaching Methods used by Faculty Members –
- Lecture Method
- Power Point Presentation
- Group Discussions
- Field Visit
- Poster Exhibition
- Guest Lectures
Future Plans of the Department –
- To start a research centre at the department
- To arrange national & international conference
- To start an add-on course in Applied Statistics
- Department –Industry Collaborative Projects
|Degree||Eligibility||Course Type||Intake||Note||Admission Procedure||Type|
|B.A(Economics)||An applicant who has passed the H.S.C(12th Arts) Examination of the Maharashtra State Board or equivalent of any other statutory Board or University is eligible for admission to the first year B.A. degree course.||Grant||40 Seats ( Special subject from SYBA onwards)||Reservation as per Government Rules||Selection through merit list||Under Graduate|
|M.A(Economics)||Any Graduate is eligible but an applicant who has passed the BA Examination with Economics as the special subject will be preferred.||Grant||60 Seats||Reservation as per Government Rules||Selection through merit list||Post Graduate|
|Dr. Vijaykumar Wawle||M.A., SET, NET,
|Pawar Babruwan Sheshrao||M.A. B.Ed. NET||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||View|
|GIRAM MANOJ BABURAO||M.A.M.Phil. NET||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||View|
|Vishwajeet Dilip Kadam||M.A. (Economics), NET, SET||Assistant Professoremail@example.com||View|
|Smt. Jayashree Laxman Kadam||M.A.B.Ed. M.Phil. Ph. D.||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org||View|